Friday, January 23, 2009

Jesus' Authority and Me

Song: The Gospel Is For All

Scripture: Matthew 28:18-20

Authority (exousia) is the "power of rule or government, the power of one whose will and commands must be obeyed by others" (Vine's). God has inherent authority because of who He is. Jesus has been given "all authority" because of what He did.

#1. He became flesh and dwelt among us (John 1:14).

#2. He did not sin (Hebrews 4:15).

#3. He sacrificed Himself for the sins of others (Hebrews 9:26).

#4. He arose (Matthew 28:6).

#5. He ascended (Revelation 5:5-7).

Because of what He did...

#1. I go.

#2. I make disciples of all nations.

#3. I baptize them in the name of the Father, Son, and Spirit.

#4. I teach them to observe all things He commanded.

#5. I trust He will be with me always.

Jason Cicero