Monday, January 12, 2009

Behold My Mother and My Brothers

Song: Blest Be The Tie

Scripture: Matthew 12:46-50

Jesus was speaking to the crowds words pertaining to the Kingdom of Heaven. His physical mother, Mary, and his brothers were "standng outside, seeking to speak to Him" (Matthew 12:46; NASBU). Someone brought this to His attention. Jesus responded to this information with a question.

"Who is My mother and who are my brothers?" asked Jesus. Then he stretched out His hand toward His disciples and answered His own question: "Behold My mother and My brothers! For whoever does the will of My Father who is in heaven, he is My brother and sister and mother" (Matthew 12:49-50; NASBU).

Jesus did not dishonor His mother and His brothers in Matthew 12:46-50. Rather, He put them into perspective. And He also put our relationship to our brothers and sisters in Christ into perspective. My physical mother and brothers may choose not to serve Christ. I must go on with Him without them (see Matthew 10:34-39). And as I go, I don't go alone. I go with all those who do the will of the Father who is in Heaven. Those who do His will are my mothers, sisters, and brothers too.

Not everyone in my physical family is what the Father longs for them to be. It hurts me. It hurts Him. I would to God that they could see what I see. What Jesus saw. Brothers, sisters, and mothers. A tie that binds because of our common Heavenly Father. Our common elder brother. Our common love for one another because of our common love for Him.

I thank my Heavenly Father for this reality in my life: "So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God's household" (Ephesians 2:19; NASBU). This can be your reality too...

Jason Cicero